Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Day 9

I like this statue of Lincoln found
in Lincoln Park.
    Over the past two days I've felt like I've had my feet back under me, both literally and figuratively.  I've used both days to walk around with no particular destination in mind, just walking in a specific direction.  I do know enough about Chicago I think to know when to stop because it is not all that safe in some areas and since I'm a small town boy turned suburbanite with very little city savvy I'm always going to error on the side of caution.  But I'm only walking in one direction for about an hour and then I'm turning around to go back home.  (I like saying home meaning the Onterie Center.)  Yesterday I walked 8 miles and today I walked 8.5 so I'm on a pretty good pace to realistically walk over 300 miles while we are down here, maybe even more if I would stop eating so much and making my feet hurt.

Iconic Marina City featured in
the Steve McQueen Movie "The Hunter".
     My direction yesterday was north.  I took off down Michigan Ave. and made my way over to Rush St.  It actually goes north-west but by the time I  reached the Lincoln Park neighborhood I was zigzagging streets.  I was walking in the direction of Wrigley field, but my phone told me that it is 5 miles away and I didn't think I was up to a 10 mile walk yesterday.  I have tickets for a game later on this summer so I might be able to do it if I have a baseball game and a couple of hot dogs in between the two 5 mile walks.  The walk was fun, lots of people out.  I especially liked walking by the Moody Church.  They appeared to be having a graduation ceremony there.  On my way back I went to the lake front for the last mile or so.  I really enjoy walking along the lake.

I should crop out the Walgreens but I think
it would be a copyright infringement.  
     Today I decided that I wanted to go into the business district for a while and then head west.  I had a general idea that I was going to go to Greektown and get  a gyro for lunch, but I was going to wait until I got my hour in before I started looking for a place to eat.  We have been spending a lot of money lately on eating out so I went to a cheap fast food Greek place and still had a great lunch.  On the walk back I followed the Chicago River by walking along Wacker Drive.  It's been two great days of walking the streets of Chicago.  I'm not going to say that I could get used to this because I already am.  What is going to be difficult is when August gets here and I have to go back to dumb old Lisle.  I'm going to have to find a new route to walk besides Ogden, I'm getting spoiled down here.



For 10 bonus points:
where would you find this piece of art?



No comments:

Post a Comment