Sunday, July 15, 2012

Day 42

      As I suspected Friday stunk.  I drove back to Lisle to go to the dentist only to find out that I'm looking at at least four more visits.  Yuk.  Sorry to all my dentist friends, but I'm very much an anti-dentite.  The rest of the day I pretty much just did the chores and tasted the grit from the cleaning.  I went back downtown about the same time that TWIK got off work.  She made pasta and we watched a movie, a Friday to be remembered.


Professional volleyball on Oak
Street Beach.
      Saturday I was back in the swing of things.  I decided that I was going to walk to Wrigley and the timing was good because they had a day game and I could walk with all the people on their way to see the Cubbies.  I've already said that I like the crowds and so this was fun for me.  The distance was 5.2 miles and the most I've ever walked in a day was 9 miles.  So this was going to be tough.  I added to the distance be taking a less direct way home because I wanted to go by the lakefront and check out the Jose Cuervo Beach Volleyball competition.  The women had the main court at the time I was there and they were good, but on the outside courts the guys were playing and they were awesome.  They play a very fast paced power game and it was cool to get to see it up close.


Looking down Michigan Ave.
     Afterwards I had some friends that were spending the weekend at the University Club on Monroe St. and Michigan Ave. and they asked if I'd like to come and see the place.  Even though I had already logged 10.5 miles earlier in the day I decided this was too good to pass up so I walked another 3 in the round trip there and back.  The University Club is over 100 years old and is one of the classiest places I've ever been.  It's all dark wood, vaulted ceilings with chandeliers.  I couldn't help thinking of Hogwarts.  In addition to that it over looks Grant Park with a fantastic view of the Bean and Millennium Pavilion.  It was well worth the trip, but it brought my total mileage for the day to over 13 miles walking.  Needless to say I didn't follow it up today.


The Wrigley Dixieland Band
What we did do today was go to Wrigley to actually see a baseball game.  We again went with friends and they are season ticket holders.  The reason that is significant is because season ticket holders have access to the United Club (something I didn't even know existed before last year).  It is a restaurant in the upstairs portion of Wrigley and they have really good food.  And if you get too hot or it starts raining it's a great place to get inside and relax and watch the game on their t.v.s.  I've been twice now and it is pretty special.  The game was great because the Cubs actually won and  swept the Diamondbacks.  Even when they don't win a trip to Wrigley field is always a good time.  We are now back in Lisle because Ty is coming home from his trip to Florida tomorrow morning and as always we are missing him terribly.  We will probably be here for the next couple of days, but we do have a couple of exciting things planned for the week.  The S.O.B. continues.  (Of course you know that stands for The Summer Of Brick)

No comments:

Post a Comment