Thursday, May 3, 2012

Reader's Digest Disrespects the Brick


      I'm a big fan of the "slice of life" stories found in Reader's Digest.  These humorous anecdotes sent in by the readers most often strike me as events that for the authors become part of their personal lore and are retold countless times whenever the opportunity arises such as cornering an unsuspecting victim at a party.  I have one of these that I think is exactly right for RD; they seemingly think different.  I'll let you be the judge:


      "I had been teaching at a local high school for a few years when I first started dating my wife.  The first time she took me with her to her church in the same town I was being greeted by several of the parishioners who made some small talk and then welcomed me and moved on.  One such gentleman asked me what I did.  I replied that I had been at the high school for the last six years.  He responded, 'Don't let it bother you.  It took me five years to get out of there myself.'"

     Now I ask you, doesn't that have Reader's Digest written all over it?

1 comment:

  1. It depends on the assumption that high school is formally supposed to be four or fewer years. This is in fact not true in some locales, for example those with a "junior high and senior high" structure, each three years, after elementary school of six years.

    Otherwise it's witty.

    ReplyDelete